We asked for help. Donors are answering the call.
Mister Rogers once said that in times of crisis, we should “look for the helpers.” When we asked you to support Children’s Hospital Colorado’s COVID-19 relief efforts, the response of our “helpers” was nothing short of overwhelming.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created unprecedented challenges, but the generosity of our community has been equally as unprecedented. Over the past two months, Children’s Hospital Colorado Foundation has received more than $2.2 million in donations for our COVID-19 relief efforts.
Here are a few examples of how your support is making a tremendous difference for frontline caregivers, patient families and the broader community.
- Personal protective equipment: Hospitals nationwide face supply chain shortages of masks, gowns and gloves. Given the high demand, the cost of this equipment has skyrocketed. Donors like you provided critical funds for personal protective equipment, disinfectant and other supplies to keep our caregivers and patients safe and protected.
- Food for families in need: With most Colorado schools closed and unemployment at an all-time high, many children are facing food insecurity. Thankfully, donors stepped in to help so we could swiftly help vulnerable families. Within a week of schools closing, Children’s Colorado established a mobile food pantry to provide healthy groceries and supplies for low-income families at five Aurora Public School locations. Donors like you provide funding to serve around 400 families per week.
- Mobile Testing Center: Hyundai Hope On Wheels® recently donated $200,000 to establish a drive-thru COVID-19 testing center for pediatric and frontline health care workers. In less than 24 hours, Tuff Shed®, a Denver-based company, constructed a testing garage on the Anschutz Medical Campus, where Children’s Colorado is now conducting drive-thru COVID-19 testing. Providing safe and convenient testing helps us to contain the virus while keeping our community’s caregivers safe.
- Mental health support: Our caregivers are facing tremendous pressure in their personal and professional lives, yet they continue to selflessly care for patients. In these difficult times, donors like you have funded staff resiliency initiatives including emotional wellness checks, respite rooms where caregivers can take a break, and other mental health resources designed to keep our staff well in mind, body and spirit as they work on the frontlines of a global health crisis.
- Emergency hardship fund: Using 100% private donations, Children’s Colorado established a fund to award emergency grants to staff experiencing an extreme and sudden financial loss related to COVID-19. Team members with demonstrated need can apply for financial assistance to help with educational loans, mortgage and rent payments, childcare, transportation, food insecurity, utilities and other essentials.
- Toys for hospitalized kids: In mid-March, the hospital closed all its playrooms to prevent the risk of spreading illness. Again, generous donors came to our aid, enabling Children’s Colorado to purchase thousands of new toys for our hospitalized patients, many of whom are in isolation. Thanks to donors like you, the kids in our care can continue to experience joy in their hospital rooms during a national health crisis.
- Care for caregivers: Thanks to donors, we’ve distributed care packages, healthy snacks, groceries and meals to caregivers coming off long shifts, so they don’t have to worry about cooking or shopping. Your support has lifted our team’s spirits, helping them to come to work – day after day – feeling refreshed, renewed and valued by their community.
During these challenging times, the giving spirit of our community has never been greater. Our health system is weathering significant financial challenges, but philanthropy is helping us to keep our medical team strong so they can do what they do best: care for the children who need them.
Our need for COVID-19 relief funding continues. Click here to help.